Sustainable & Ethical Policy
The Maticevski purpose and model has always included an ethical and sustainable approach to fashion. We approach every collection with a key focus on reducing our environmental footprint and championing the longevity of a sustainable fashion industry for years to come.
Our commitment to sustainability is evident in our workplace policies that support legal, ethical and social commitments when producing Australian-made quality products. We partner with suppliers that echo the Maticevski values and commitment to reducing the impact on the environment while delivering sustainable products and manufacturing.
We value our suppliers and as a business, we have worked hard to create and sustain strong, long-standing relationships with valued local suppliers to deliver a trusted, quality Australian Made product to our customers.
Products bearing the Maticevski brand name and the conditions in which they are produced are just as important to us as the design itself. We cannot create beautiful products without the love, attention, commitment, and care from our teams.
One of the main drivers is to minimise waste and think creatively about how we can aid the environment to have as little or no impact where we can. Recycling, re-purposing, reusing and re-imagining a purpose for what would be considered waste and continually developing new ways to create objects of beauty and value.
Maticevski acknowledges the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung and Bunurong peoples of the Kulin Nation as the traditional custodians of the unceded land and waters where we live and work. We pay our deepest respect to Elders past, present and emerging. It's a privilege to walk this land together.
LEGAL, SOCIAL & ETHICAL RESPONSIBILITY
Toni Maticevski Pty Ltd has its own Legal, Ethical, and Social Commitment guidelines that we adhere to which include criteria on labour rights, anti-corruption, fair and safe working conditions, and environmental compliance. Further, it incorporates conventions of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) and principles of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
As a business, we take our commitment to an ethical and transparent supply chain very seriously, relying on compliance with these principles as a condition of all transactions with our suppliers and factories.
- All Maticevski garments are proudly Australian-made, except a small select range of leather and beaded products made in collaboration with dedicated international partners.
- We work with only a handful of suppliers to assist in the making of our garments. They are all based in Melbourne, Australia, within an approximate 15km radius of our offices. The goods do not travel great distances.
- Due to our price point, we focus on high-quality garments that are not disposable and have a life span longer than a fashion season. We do not overproduce beyond what is ordered from our customers and stores, eliminating excess stock, fabrications and trims.
- To reduce fabric wastage, our pattern cutting method ensures our fabric is cut in a way to minimize excess fabric waste and maximize the output of the fabric rolls.
- We use very little, if any, water during the manufacturing process and we do not use industrial garment wash-houses.
Unlike fast fashion, we have a transparent and short supply chain. So much so, that our Production team is able to name the individual that cut, machined, pressed or even sewed on a button of a particular garment, at any given time.
Further to this, some small production runs and all Quality Assurance checks continue to be carried out in-house, so Toni is personally across the conditions his team work under. The same conditions Toni himself works under.
A commitment to sustainable sourcing has always been a must at Maticevski. Since launching the brand in 1999, Toni has not conformed to the easy way of fast fashion. Choosing to set the tone, away from the obvious and staying true to his commitment for quality over quantity, he has not wavered from his vision in sustaining a long-lasting brand and future within the fashion industry.
This commitment is recognised by his peers and praised by his loyal customer base. Empowering consumers who stand with us in wanting to make a difference to how we shop and trust the brand and the products.
- We engage with recycling services for general waste and paper / plastic articles.
- Our packaging/cardboard box supplier uses only recycled paper stock.
- The plastic garment hangers and protective garment bags we chose to use are both recyclable.
- Remnant fabric, off-cuts, and fabric swatches from previous production runs are either sold or donated to learning institutions for use by students.
- Excess fabric rolls are revisited regularly to reintroduce and reuse before purchasing new fabric lines.
- We choose to purchase only environmentally friendly office, cleaning & toiletry items.
Supporting a small family-like workforce, all Maticevski employees are committed to sustainable sourcing, from production materials to dishwashing detergent. This commitment ensures we at Maticevski are always monitoring and reviewing our processes and decisions to ensure we have the environment and our impact in front of mind, in all facets of the business.
OUR ‘RE’ COMMITMENT
Maticevski has and always will continue to do better for the environment. Our RE, considered model ensures we are always striving to seek out new ways to lessen the impact on our planet when creating objects of beauty and value. By creating a second or even third life to our products, we value the importance of forever pieces that can be coveted for years to come.
|Re - Invent